Saturday, March 24, 2012

Laundry Time!

So, I'm sitting here doing my laundry in Logan, UT.  I got back yesterday from southern Utah.  I was working in Capitol Reef National Park and then in Calf Creek.  I am going back down towards the Escalante area for the rest of my projects in the spring season with the UCC.  It has been a great time so far.  Today I raked my yard to rid it of leaves.  I moved in all of my stuff.  Things are just going great.  The weather felt like summer all up until the 18th when it proceeded to snow and be pretty cold.  But I survived!  Other than that three or four day cold streak, things have been sunny.  I will get pictures up at some point, but don't hold your breath.

Capitol Reef was awesome.  I haven't seen landscape and rock formations like that before.  It was amazing.  In between our hitch at Capitol Reef and Calf Creek, I went on a day hike up to the Navajo Knobs.  It was really hot and super cool.  At Capitol Reef we built a stone wall mostly out of sandstone bordering a campsite to prevent washouts.  The soil in the campsite was just being washed into the parking lot when heavy rains came through.

Next we moved on to Calf Creek.  But before we started working our crew hung out at the Escalante Outfitters for a wonderfully relaxing Sunday before another work week.  We were joined by the Crew Coordinators and two others that were at other projects the week before.  Calf Creek is a great trail that ends on way at a sweet waterfall.  We built a rock retaining wall to support the trail so it does not wash out and to cover up a culvert that was put in place many years ago.  We then built a small four step staircase over another culvert and then proceeded to maintain six waterbars and do some rehabbing.  And all of this was done in three and half days.  All the while I am studying to take a pesticide/herbicide test in April so I can be qualified when it comes to applying herbicide to the invasive tree species, Russian Olive.  So, it was a great work week.  And now to go back out again!

Luckily next time I will have some more days off from work.  That will be nice.  And for those of you who want my house address, just drop me a comment and I will e-mail it to you when I get a chance.

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that things are going well. Magne has a friend here in Stavanger who is from Jackson Hole. He knows the area you have been working in well and has a friend in who has previously done CC work. I will get an email for him from Beau if you are curious about work in the future and where the CC might lead you, you can contact him.
    I have had a wonderful time with Tor, Magne and Erika. I am leaving on Monday and it won´t be easy. We all do what we have to do, right?
    Hope you have a great hitch. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I have friends doing cool things (not that I don't have a wonderful life myself :-D)! It sounds like you're being kept busy with good, beneficial work. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete